So you just got engaged...congrats to you and yours! Now its time pick your wedding date and select a venue. Once those items have been squared away most people will now start working on selecting the various vendors (photo, video, DJ, band, florist, etc) that are needed. One of the first things people take care is the photography and video. So you jump online and do some quick research and schedule the face to face appointments.
So many times couples have come into the studio and have said the following things to me: “your our first meeting so we don't know what to ask”, “we've never done this before (being married), so we don't know what we should ask or say”...although those are fair statements...my strong recommendation to you is be prepared to have a consultation before the actual consultation.
4 steps to take before your consultation:
Before going into a consultation with a photographer/videographer make sure that:
1. you have seen their work and love it – from their website, Facebook and Pinterest
2. Read up on any reviews...what do other couples think of the company
3. Set a budget – What is your balance between the investment and the importance of quality work
4. Have an idea of what you are looking for in terms of coverage and final product. Are you looking to keep things basic (just the files) or are you looking for albums, canvases, etc. The more focused you are the easier it will be to find the right person or company for you.
Once your at the consultation:
5 real world questions to ask during the meeting -
1. What happens in case of an emergency? Specifically what are your emergency plans? - this is important to know the company you are dealing with has thought this out and has a logical plan. If the company doesn't have a solid plan, they may not be the right one for you.
2. If photo and video come from different companies how do you work together? - I always tell people you have 1 aisle to walk down and 1 aisle to walk back and you have at least 2 people trying to get the shot...it helps if photo and video have worked together many times and can work in harmony
3. What is your turn around time for delivering the photos and video after the wedding? - Asking this will help manage your expectations on when things are delivered.
4. Have you shot at my venue and if not please tell me how you would prepare yourself for our wedding? This will help you gain some insight into experience and planning
5. How do you manage the actual day of our wedding? What is your style for managing the day? - This will help you understand the demeanor of the person or company taking the images and does that fit your personality and get the job done.
I hope this helps you out...any questions please send me a message at [email protected] or call 603.566.7911. Enjoy the journey of planning for your special day :)